Updates, Live

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Judith Shea - Approaching the Figurative with a Sense of Humor

Judith Shea - Post Balzac, 1991
Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden

Judith Shea (born 1948) started as a fashion designer, then she became a Minimalist sculptor. After stages in Italy and Mexico her art evolved towards questioning what should be today the meaning of Figurative, and not only: questioning the whole history of sculpture.

You'd be surprised, but I think there is some resemblance with the universe of de Chirico.


Storage, 1999-1999, Nelson-Atkins Museum, Kansas City, MO
bronze



Without Words, 1988, Minneapolis Walker Art Center
bronze, marble, limestone



Crawl, 1983, MoMA
bronze





(Hirshhorn Museum)


(Contemporary Art)

2 Comments:

  • To the Coat in Bronze
    sculpted by Judith Shea


    Are you from my past,
    my father's coat, rigid and hard,
    from which I escaped,
    squeezing just barely
    out through the slot?
    Or do you remain as his
    coat of protection
    around me, those
    indestructible walls
    he wished to erect around
    most of my life?

    Are you something of mine
    that I wore long ago
    that no longer fits,
    now abandoned to fate?
    I suppose you're my future
    patiently waiting,
    watching me dance
    these free dances of my later years,
    waiting to take me
    in one last embrace
    close and hard
    before we both melt into mist,
    into the ether
    with no form at all!

    Anne Hanson
    6/8/09

    By Blogger AnnieGrace, at 5:06 PM  

  • Thank you for this poem, it's beautiful. I visited your blog and I liked it. I will come often to it.

    Thanks again!

    Pierre

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home