Updates, Live

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Man Ray at the American Art Museum



I met firstly with the photos of Man Ray, his Violon d'Ingres and Larmes. It was a book about Paris, as viewed by the American artists who lived there Les Années Folles.

Then I met the cineaste: his amazing abstract short movies. It was a DVD devoted to the experimental films of the Twenties.

I met then the painter: an exhibition at the Phillips Collection, devoted to The Société Anonyme.

I was last Sunday at the American Art Museum: Man Ray was there. I tried to record a video with his works. Unfortunately I rendered his Autoportrait very poorly.

His influence on the Twentieth Century art is enormous in so many respects. Along with Marcel Duchamp he democratized the art work: look at the paper sheets framing his Autoportrait, look at his Cadeau, look at his It's Another Spring. But it's not only that. It's his enthusiasm, his commitment to promote new artists and new forms of art. Another name comes now to my mind, a great artist and a great enthusiast: El Lissitzky.


Autoportrait


Cadeau (Serie B), 1890
iron and tacks


Indestructible Object, 1965
wood, fiber, metal,and paper on cardboard


It's Another Spring, 1961
metal spring, ivory ball,wooden cigar box



(Avangarda 20)

(American Art and Portraiture)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home