Updates, Live

Friday, April 10, 2009

Satyajit Ray


I had the opportunity to watch only the Apu Trilogy from all Ray's filmography. I have also a DVD copy with The Chess Players, I will watch it very soon.

I consider Pather Panchali the greatest masterpiece in the universe of movies.


Aparajito (1956)
Apu becomes a student

I firstly learned about Satyajit Ray long time ago, from a book about India, written by an Austrian journalist. When I came to US, I was immediately interested to watch some of his movies, to find out that it was very hard to find DVD copies with his work. I succeeded eventualy to buy the Apu Trilogy and the Chess Players: that is all I found.

The World of Apu (1959)
Apu becomes a husband and father

The quality of the DVD copies is poor, and for this reason watching these movies requires an effort. But you are rewarded.


Devi (1960)
A remarkable exploration of religious madness

I haven't yet written anything about Satyajit Ray: it would be like shouting in an enormous space somewhere in cosmos (I am paraphrasing here a splendid sentence Arghezi wrote about Eminescu). I should take my courage one day.


Kanchenjungha (1962)
A few hours in the lives of a wealthy Calcutta family vacationing in Darjeeling


I feel after writing about his movies there would be no more need to write about anything else.


Mahanagar (1963)
A struggling middle-class family have just a bit less income than they require and have to make awkward choices


I opened this thread today, as I have found an article about him in today's NY Times. I will post it.

Charulata (1964)
This radiant movie takes place in Calcutta in 1880, and its characters, educated and well off, spend a lot of their time in earnest discussion of literature and politics of the day


Days and Nights in the Forest (1970)With the Chekhovian ensemble piece
Ray is less interested in what people are saying than why





(Indian Cinema)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home