Updates, Live

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Following the Raven in Baltimore


(musical background: Reverie, by Debussy)

The spirit of E.A. Poe is flowing in Baltimore; you feel his presence on the streets, along the walls, carried by the wind in front of old churches, then stepping by for a little while in the small bookshop on Charles Street. A Poe exhibition is on view at Enoch Pratt Library these days: old photos of the writer, manuscripts, letters, princeps editions, memorabilia. And a splendid translation into French, made by Baudelaire.

So it started my day in Baltimore, under the sign of Poe, and of the Raven, at Pratt Library, and so it ended, at Theatre Project, late in the afternoon (but I'll come later to it).

Meanwhile I walked on the streets all day long: there was a huge festival, with lots of people, and tents, and food, and all kind of artistry, and fun.





It was very hot and the sun was pitiless. But that was not the main problem with me: my photo-camera was playing nasty, as the batteries were working only now and then. I managed to record a video at Pratt Library, and then these two photos, and that was almost all.

Was it that they were not properly charged? Was it that the sun was without mercy for my head? Or was it the spell of the Raven? Maybe so, and I realized that when I took the stairs up to the entrance of Theatre Project, to watch an experimental performance: a puppet show where the Raven was telling the life of Poe! Splendid theater, splendid show, splendid performers, full of youth, and enthusiasm, and talent.

As I was not able to use my camera there, I'll give you here just the link to the leader of the theatrical show: Will Haza. He made a great impression on me. It was as I was living again in my young years, when I was so crazy about all forms of experimental theater. I had been in Prague and I knew about heir puppeteers there. Believe me, here at Theatre Project it was like being again in Prague of my youth!

(Baltimore)

(Claude Debussy)

(Edgar Allan Poe)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home