Updates, Live

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sylvia Plath


The image is kind of provocative. I found it on a website that deals exclusively with literary tattoos:http://www.contrariwise.org/.

So, it's a tattoo, and it's reproducing a quote from The Bell Jar, the only novel written by Edith Plath:

I listened to the old bray of my heart: I am, I am, I am...

Sylvia Plath... she was the girl who wanted to be God so that she could create the entire universe from scratch. Splendid phrase! I have just read a chapter from Elif Shafak's book, Black Milk: this chapter is telling the life of Sylvia Plath. It starts with that phrase. I will quote a little bit more from this chapter (Of Poets and Babies):

To her close friends she was Syl, to her family, Sivvie. To the rest of the world she was Sylvia Plath. Her marriage to Ted Hughes has been the subject of numerous heated debates among scholars, feminists and non-feminists alike. The essays and books written about her - even after all these years - tend to be as emotionally charged as she was. Perhaps somehow all her biographers end up falling in love with her.


(A Life in Books)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home