Updates, Live

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Yale Strom: The Hasidim from Brooklytn (a Photo Essay)



Yale Strom published yesterday a bunch of great images on Facebook. It's about the Hasidim from Brooklyn, their past and present. Looking at these images it somes to my mind a neighborhood in Brooklyn that I visited in 2009, inhabited by Szatmar Hasidim, a very conservative community with roots in Transilvania. Past and present: today there are among them more and more Latin-American immigrants: children are playing together.



Let me add here another image published by Yale, and a youTube video. You'll recognize Yale among the guys there: he's wearing a red shirt, has kind of yarmulke on his head and seems to be the happiest one.

Restored Eldridge Street Synagogue
(photo taken by Yale on oct. 12, 2007)





(New York, New York)

(Yale Strom)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Hi... I know I'm a year late... but my grandfather is in that first photo and my father has been looking for a copy of this photo for years. Do you know where I can obtain an original or at least a clearer copy? I tried contacting Yale Strom via facebook but received no reply. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

    By Blogger Mindy, at 8:39 PM  

  • Please send me an email at p_radulescu@yahoo.com and I will reply with the email address of Yale.


    Thanks,

    Pierre Radulescu

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 4:06 AM  

  • Mindy email me Yale Strom at yitztyco@aol.com aobut the photo of your grandfather. zay gezint yale

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home