Updates, Live

Friday, January 06, 2012

A Sonnet by Edna St. Vincent Millay (XLIII)


Edna St. Vincent Millay was born and grew up in Maine and remained enamored with the savage beauty of the Cadillac Mountain - where the sun first hits the American coast. I planned once to go there to Bar Harbor and to climb the mountain, it didn't happen.

I found on the web this sonnet and I dedicate it to my good friends from Maine, to Jay and Tasha.

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten, and what arms have lain
Under my head till morning; but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh

Upon the glass and listen for reply,
And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain
For unremembered lads that not again
Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.

Thus in winter stands the lonely tree,
Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,
Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:

I cannot say what loves have come and gone,
I only know that summer sang in me
A little while, that in me sings no more.


Sonnet form: abba abba cde dce

(A Life in Books)

(Maine)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home