Updates, Live

Monday, January 13, 2014

Old Stories from Gadsby's Tavern

shared from Joelle Morrison
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=693953487301784)
no copyright infringement intended


Believe me or not, I once met Benjamin Franklin. It was in Alexandria, VA, in an old winery, the Gadsby's Tavern. An old gentleman was walking slowly from one table to the other, a cane in his right hand, chatting with the patrons. Not only that he looked like Franklin, he was also dressed like him.

How are you young man, he asked me, and he went on, do you observe Christ's birthday or rather  his precepts?

I looked a bit puzzled, and I tried an equivocal answer, kind of you know, sometimes, you know, well, you know what I mean.   

No, I don't, he said smiling, so think about and I'm waiting. I have all the time in the world at my disposal.

I didn't know what to do. Fortunately another old gentleman entered. He looked like Washington and was dressed like him. Let the young fellow sip his glass of wine, Ben, and don't puzzle people here with impossible questions!

Then the two gentlemen sat down at another table, sipping wine and remembering old days.




(Alexandria)

(Church in America)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home