Updates, Live

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Niebuhr


I wrote on the blog about how I came to the name of Niebuhr, the two brothers. H. Richard and Reinhold. Among them Reinhold was perhaps more famous, but each one had actually his own field of interests in the large realm of theology. I already talked here about Christ and Culture, a book by H. Richard Niebuhr that impressed me a lot, and I am now reading another of his books: The Social Sources of Denominationalism. I will talk about it here as soon as I finish the reading.


Reinhold Niebuhr
1892-1971
(http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/05/Obama.theologian/)
no copyright infringement intended


What I didn't know was about the existence about other two scholars bearing the same name, Niebuhr. There is no connection of any kind between them and Reinhold and Richard. These other two Niebuhr's were father and son and lived in Denmark and Germany. Carsten Niebuhr (1733-1815) was born in Germany and spent his life as a mathematician, cartographer and explorer in the service of Denmark. He remained well-known for his participation in the 1761 Danish Arabia Expedition. His son  Barthold Georg Niebuhr (1776-1831) was a leading historian of Ancient Rome and a founding father of modern scholarly historiography. I think each of them deserves here a separate entry, maybe I'll do it after a bit of search. All in good time.



Barthold Georg Niebuhr
1776-1831
detail from an engraving
credit: Bavaria Verlag
(http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/13224/Barthold-Georg-Niebuhr-detail-from-an-engraving)
no copyright infringement intended






Carsten Niebuhr
1733-1815
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carsten_niebuhr.jpg)
no copyright infringement intended





(A Life in Books)

(Church in America)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home